Sunday 24 July 2016

Knit It - Star Trek Socks

We are currently experiencing a mini heatwave here in the UK, as I type this I am sitting on the back step overlooking the garden, relishing the cool breeze in the morning air and watching Beau attack some ants, you know because that's what cats do! So what better time could there be to write a post all about my newly knitted, thick and cozy, super toasty, woolly socks! Goodness, I'm perspiring just thinking about them!

~ Star Trek Socks ~
Needles: Circular 2.25 mm

I call these my Star Trek socks because whilst I was knitting them, the flashes of blues and purples that were being created by the variegation in the yarn, really reminded me of the cyan tinted lens flares used in the fabulous rebooted Star Trek films (watch the trailer here if you are not sure what I mean), this discovery also gave me a fabulous excuse to rewatch both films whilst I was knitting - it's a hard life!

The Butterfly Balcony: Knit It - Star Trek Socks Knitting Pattern

The pattern I used is a free one found on Ravelry, called Hermione's Everyday Socks. They are designed to be knitted from the cuff down on circular needles and incorporate a very simple variation of moss stitch, to create the lovely texture you can see on the ankle section and top of the foot. I will say for my first time knitting socks they were a pleasure to work on. Something about the speed at which each sock grew was very appealing to me, and I can now see why people become obsessive sock knitters!

The Butterfly Balcony: Knit It - Star Trek Socks Knitting Pattern

I was a little apprehensive about the instructions at times. The pattern is written for knitters who already have a basic understanding of the construction of socks, if you are a novice like me it can be a little confusing, but with the aid of YouTube and a little perseverance I muddled my way through and I am happy with the result. The area where I first lost my confidence was on turning the heel. Turning a heel can be done many different ways, but this pattern calls for a heel flap to be knitted and then stitches to be picked up along the sides of the flap to rejoin the knitting back into the round, creating a right angle in the knitting and giving the sock its heel. It is very ingenious once mastered, but I truly did struggle and I'm still not 100% sure I've done it quite right, but it works as a heel and so it will do!

The Butterfly Balcony: Knit It - Star Trek Socks Knitting Pattern

The last thing you need to do when knitting a cuff down sock is to join the toe ends with the very clever Kitchener stitch. This was the most frustrating part of the whole project for me, OK, let me explain why. The Kitchener stitch is a wonderful way of invisibly joining your knitting together by cleverly creating, with a sewing needle, an additional row of knit stitches between the two pieces of fabric, or in this case the top and bottom of the toe. When done correctly it looks great and really is the perfect way to join the toe together, saving your toes from any nasty seams to rub against, whilst you're proudly prowling around in your new snazzy socks. The toes in my socks are not so neat. I watched the video on how to do it loads of times but I still haven't quite mastered it, one sock is definitely better than the other, but for a first attempt it's not too bad and they are still pretty snazzy right?!

The Butterfly Balcony: Knit It - Star Trek Socks Knitting Pattern

Obviously, now they are done it is far too warm to wear them, so I'll have to wait until the weather cools down a bit before I can unleash their full fabulousness upon the world. That said, I am planning a trip to watch the new Star Trek movie next week and would love to wear them, but if I am honest, even with the air conditioning in the theatre (only place in the UK you can guarantee on air conditioning, even in the winter, brrr, is the cinema) I think it will still be too warm. I guess I'll just have to wait until the DVD comes out and then I can have a triple bill movie marathon whilst wearing my Trekkie socks and perhaps also while I'm knitting up another pair - now that sounds like a plan!

Wendy x

No comments:

Post a Comment