Sunday 24 November 2013

Fall For Cotton - Lightfields Blouse and Slacks

Last Sunday, the weather was reasonable and I had a willing photographer to hand, so it meant I was finally able to get some good pictures of my Fall for Cotton Lightfields ensemble! 
About blooming time!


So you might remember, though it was a while back now so you would be forgiven if not, that I had fallen head over heels in love with some outfits in ITV's recent ghostly drama Lightfields worn by Eve Traverse one of the main characters.


I had become besotted with a little black and yellow striped blouse and a pair of bottle green wide legged high waisted slacks, so I set about recreating them for my fall for cotton projects. The patterns I picked to recreate these garments all needed some alterations to make them more like the originals above, and I think I have pulled it off! I was yet again quite surprised  how very simple it was to achieve, I have often put off making things for fear that I didn't know how to do it properly, and end up creating a huge unwearable mess, but making these garments has proved to me yet again that it's all about looking at things logically (ooh now I sound like Spock), as long as you think it through and take your time in the pattern stage, it's deceptively simple to create what you're after!

 Right, first up let's have a closer look at the blouse...


For the blouse, I used a cheap black cotton for the collar and cuffs which accentuate the beautiful pink striped fabric for the main body perfectly. The main fabric came from the lovely Blue Zinnia Vintage on Etsy, this fabric is just gorgeous to look at and even more gorgeous to work with, it is lovely and soft but still very much holds its shape, a real gem of a 30s fabric, and perfect for copying Eve's blouse. The pattern, Economy Design No.154, was not quite so perfect, it needed a few tweaks to get it as near as possible to the Lightfields version.

The yokes on the front of the blouse were much higher than Eve's blouse so I lowered them enough to make them in line with the back yoke. I found this actually quite easy, even though the bottom front sections are much wider than the yoke pieces (they gather up into the yoke for a bit of bust room) I just lengthened the yoke pattern to match the rear yoke, added a seam allowance and then dropped the front panel down by the same amount and it all worked out OK.



The other alteration was to the sleeves. Firstly I took out some of the height to the sleeve head to reduce the puffiness a touch. Also, the sleeves on the pattern are designed to taper in towards the cuff, now I have particularly chunky biceps (it's all biscuits, not land girl style muscles!) so, on making this pattern in the past I have always found this super uncomfortable and hideously restrictive. Thankfully Eve's blouse actually has some gathers at the cuff band, so I was able to taper the pattern out at the cuff and give myself a bit of room. I also followed a great tutorial from Sure Fit Designs to add a bit more space around my upper part of my arm, it all worked out really, really well, I can lift my arms into any odd unattractive position I desire and my blouse doesn't try and stop me!


I am rather impress that I managed to get most of the stripes to line up throughout the blouse the only place I am disappointed with is the front button band if you look closely you will see I just missed it lining up, but you know what, I love this blouse too much to worry about that, this is already a firm wardrobe favourite!

So on to the slacks!


I used a really nice weight bottle green corduroy from a seller on eBay, and I chose three patterns from my stash which together I hoped would create the look I was after. The main body of the slacks was taken from Simplicity 3688, I re-drafted the front pattern piece firstly to add in the front pleat which I copied from Simplicity 4044 which meant adding an extra inch to the width (which other than fancy scalloped waistband is the only real difference between the two patterns).


Next, I needed to create the side pockets, for this, I used Gertie's Capri Pants pattern as a guide to the shape and depth of the pocket, I soon realised that adding side pockets is remarkably easy. To be honest, it's something you don't really need to rely on a pattern piece for as long as you know how deep you want it and what shape you want the outer curve, it's really quite easy to draft a couple of extra pieces from the existing pocket-less pattern! I can do a tutorial if you like, it's certainly something worth knowing!


I was a little concerned about the fact that these slacks have a lapped side zip which runs through the pocket area I had just created, I have always struggled with theses blighter and so after a few attempts resorted to just a simple set in zip, I think it looks OK, though looking at these images I've noticed I really need to add a hook and eye at the top of the zip, and if I am not mistaken those Lightfileds slacks have got the same construction!


Only changes I would make for my next version would be to make the pockets a little deeper, can only fit your dainty hankie in them, very ladylike, but not very me! And perhaps to taper a little width out of the leg as they are just a tad too wide for my liking, other than that I am as pleased as punch with them, and delighted that I have finally gotten around to showing them off!


Wendy x

26 comments:

  1. you wear it soooooo well...well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole outfit is fabulous, and all the more awesome as you made it ALL yourself (except the belt, of course... maybe you should do a leather working course and learn how to do that as well - you're obviously exceedingly capable with making anything!). I love the blouse especially. So prettily perfect. And I'm sure the corduroy trousers especially will be of use in the coming winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! It is nice to have actually made something that will keep me warm for a change! xx

      Delete
  3. What a great outfit!! I love corduroy trousers for the cold weather - so snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Yes they are just right for the chilly weather that is approaching!

      Delete
  4. Great outfit! Looks like you did a really good job of copying the Lightfield pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love both the blouse and the slacks, amazing job and great pics! I'm pretty sure you should start your own repro vintage business based on this evidence! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo! I think I am far to greedy and would probably want to keep it all for MEEEEE! xx

      Delete
  6. those trousers are beautiful! and what a lovely outfit for how chilly london is at the moment! I very much agree with the above comment, you should definitely start your own repro brand!! you're such a wonderful sewer! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hollie that is very sweet! Its certainly nice to have something a bit more cosy than a dress to wander about London in! xx

      Delete
  7. That's a really gorgeous outfit. (I hadn't heard of Lightfields; I'll have to look it up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! Its certainly worth a watch, if you like ghosty stories!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful outfit! Love the trousers especially! Definitely do a tutorial for the pockets, you write so well!
    I hardly ever comment on your posts, I get them through email and I'm lazy :-) but your blog is wonderful!
    Jo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo!! I must confess I am the same way, I read loads but struggle to actually make a comment to say how great I thought it was...I must try harder! :) x

      Delete
  9. Brilliant!! Deserving of praise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You clever gal, you look fricking gorgeous. I swear you should be on TV your face is just quintessential english rose! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow Wendy these are AH-mazing!!! So jealous of your sewing skills, and I want a pair of those trousers!!
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The entire outfit is beautiful; you're very clever! I LOVE that blouse x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both pieces look amazing! I especially love the blouse. The fabric is simply beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look amazing!!! I have only just started to wear trousers after being a skirts/dresses person and am only just getting used to my one and only pair but yours will inspire me to get some like them. Are they comfy and warm?

    ReplyDelete