Hello again! Glad your all enjoying my little giveaway if you have not entered yet then just click the icon in the sidebar and join in!
All of my Stash Busting projects this month have been of household nature, so I thought so as not to bore you all too much I would bundle them together into one post. So here is what I have been spending my crafting hours on this month.
Plaited Bath Mat
First up is my new bathroom mat which was made from a rather faded old duvet cover.
It looks much perkier in these photos but I can assure you that it was rather faded, and not really suitable for anything but dusters! Once I saw Katja's fabulous tutorial on how she had made her truly stunning bath mat, I decided that this was the perfect way to re-purpose my tired duvet cover.
|1. The original duvet 2. Ruler wide strips cut from duvet 3. The massive ball of plaited yarn 4. Finished mat|
Now I'm not going to lie making this took flipping ages first plaiting together all the strands and forming into a massive ball of yarn (the size of a football (soccer ball)), and then stitching round and round and round and round....
|...and round and round and round.|
As I didn't have a suitable towel to use as a base I decide to just stitch it to itself which did cause a problem as the bigger it got the more it started to resemble a sombrero! Not what I wanted at all I soon realised that I was stitching it together too tightly causing it to pucker up, so I loosened off my stitches a little and after a good old steam blast with the iron, it returned to being flat, Phew! I think it looks great and is certainly a different way of recycling an old duvet!
As I was sorting through my boxes of material cataloguing what I had, I found a very creased piece of pink fur fabric. I will be honest I was close to throwing it in the bin as it looked so screwed up and battered, but my conscience would not let me, so knowing that we needed some form of draught excluder for our very old, badly fitting front door I decided that would be its new purpose in life!
|This was so simple to make and can be stuffed with old socks, scraps of fabric or anything you like! There is a simple tutorial here|
This has to have been one of the dullest things I have ever made, I had envisaged something a bit more patchworky or funky, but it does the job, took no time at all to make and more importantly has given me a bit more space in my fabric box! It is stuffed with the rest of the fur fabric and scraps of old material I had kept, but was unlikely to ever use. So even though it is dull it has definitely been my biggest stash buster to date!
Kitchen Cafe Curtains
I made these from some very cheap £1 a meter green gingham I got from Walthamstow market last year, I had intended to make a floaty circle skirt from it, but found that due to its high nylon content the static it created when rubbed together was immense, I had no desire to be electrocuting everybody around me and my hair is frizzy enough without the aid of electricity!
So as the fabric has a very kitchen/picnic feel to it I thought it would make some very cute cafe curtains instead. These should have been a doddle as they are made by straight hemming 4 sides, but due to the gingham pattern being slightly warped it made sewing straight lines an utter battle, so they are finished but not as neatly as I would have liked. They do the job though and stop my lovely next door neighbour having to witness my 'just got up need coffee' morning face which can only be a bonus!
So there you have it none of the projects are very pretty or particularity interesting but all are very practical, have helped to whittle down my fabric stash (now only three large boxes!) and saved me money!