While the snow falls outside I thought I'd treat myself to a warm hug of a cakey treat with my mum's speciality Banana Loaf!! The smell alone of this, slowly baking in the oven with all its cinnamon sweetness is a treat in itself and well worth the 90 min wait!!
~ Banana Bread ~
10 oz Self Raising Flour
4 oz Butter or Margarine
6 oz Soft brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
3 to 4 Tablespoons of Milk
1. Cream the Butter and Sugar together until fluffy.
2. Mash the banana and add to the sugar and Butter mix.
3. Mix in the eggs with a little of the flour.
4. Add in the milk and the remainder of the flour and the cinnamon
5. Pour into a 2lb loaf tin.
6. Bake in a moderate oven for 1 1/2 hours. - Approx 150c/Gas mark 3/4.
7. Test with a knife or cake skewer if it comes out clean it is ready.
8. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Tip : This can be frozen once cooled and will keep for a month in the freezer.
Traditionally my mum would serve this up with lashings of butter on top, and a warm cuppa on the side but I actually prefer it served plain but still warm from the oven, yum!